- Geothermal energy can be captured from the heat stored beneath the earth’s surface or from the absorbed heat in the atmosphere and oceans.
- It is a renewable energy source because the water is replenished by rainfall and the heat is continuously produced inside the earth.
- It can be captured from naturally-occurring underground steams and used to produce electricity.
- Heating and cooling can also be achieved by taking advantage of the temperature differential between outside air and the ground or groundwater.
- Renewable energy is energy from a natural resource that is a sustainable, meaning it can be naturally replenished or renewed within a human lifespan.
- Some natural resources such as moving water, wind and sunshine, are not at risk of depletion from use for energy production.
- Increasing the province’s sources of renewable energy supply will help clean up our air, reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and combat climate change.
For more information: Feed-in Tarrif Program (FIT)
- Solar power uses energy from the sun to directly generate electricity and is an abundant, renewable and sustainable energy source.
- Two active solar technologies that involve electrical or mechanical equipment are becoming common:
- Solar collectors or panels that are used to heat water or ventilation air for use in buildings (solar thermal).
- Solar photovoltaic technology that uses solar cells to convert sunlight directly into electricity (solar PV).
- The benefits of solar power are tremendous. Solar power:
- Decreases local air pollution
- Doesn’t interfere with the natural environment
- Emits no carbon dioxide reducing global greenhouse gases
- Provides quiet, clean, low-maintenance generation
- Contributes to local energy self-reliance
- Wind power is one of the oldest sources of harnessed renewable energy known to mankind.
- In the past, windmills were regularly used to pump water and grind grains.
- Today, wind turbines are used to capture wind energy and convert it to electricity.
- The most favorable locations for wind turbines are where wind is unimpeded by trees or buildings.