This Program Is Currently Active
You have the power. Literally.
Lower your electricity bill by generating power with wind, solar or other renewable energy sources.
How It Works
hrough net metering, you can save money by generating power with renewable energy, like wind or solar.
To become a net-metered customer – and before you buy or install a renewable energy system – you need to apply to connect your energy source to the electricity grid.
After your application’s approved, and once your renewable energy system is installed and connected to the grid, the electricity company will read your meter and calculate your bill by:
- subtracting the value of electricity you supplied from what you used, or
- giving you a credit if you supplied more electricity than you used (credits can be carried over to future bills for up to 12 months)
For more information, contact your electricity company.
To be eligible for net metering you need to:
- generate electricity from renewable sources like solar, wind, water or bioenergy – with a system you own or operate to meet your own electricity needs
- meet your electricity supplier’s technical, safety and inspection requirements
- get any required environmental approvals and municipal building permits (the Ministry of Energy can help you determine what’s required)
In some parts of the province, you may not be able to connect a renewable energy system due to technical limitations of Ontario’s electrical grid.
How To Apply
Contact your electricity company to find out how to:
- apply for a net metering agreement
- connect your renewable energy system to the grid
Don’t buy or install equipment, or sign a contract until your electricity company approves your project.
Learn More at Ontario.ca